Friday, May 21, 2010

5/17/2010 Island of Rhode....I think not

I feel betrayed.... I feel angry....I feel, well, very embarrassed. As you may have read from my past posting, I had deduced from my vast cruising experience that the Island of Rhode would be a tropic paradise complete with warm beaches and fruity drinks. I was wrong....so very, very wrong. First of all, the name of the state is not the “Island of Rhode”--it is Rhode Island. I was wondering why everyone was chuckling and when I said that. Second of all, this place is nothing like a tropic paradise. While beautiful in its own way, it is not what I expected at all. Thankfully I discovered this before I embarrassed myself further. I packed away the snorkel gear, hung up my flip flops, and put my speedo back in the drawer for another day.

Instead of docking at the port the ship was going to tender us into the town of Newport. Serena wasn't wild about the tenders but she undertook the short boat ride without summoning schools of wild porpoises. I think our fellow passengers appreciated this a great deal. We spent the morning walking around the cute little seaside town which used to be the playground of the very, very rich. I seem to remember hearing stories of a Gnomistani robber baron, the Gnomdervilts, having a small getaway “cottage” here of 85 rooms, or so. We also saw the church where the famous president JFK was married to his bride Jackie.

No comments: