Friday, September 26, 2008

9-25-2008 Seriously, you want me to fly in what!

As a special surprise for me, Mr. and Mrs. S treated me to a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier. I was thrilled! After seeing Hubbard Glacier from a distance, I couldn't wait to stroll across the icy surface. At 1 pm we boarded a bus to leave on our adventure. Now in my mind I believed we were DRIVING to the glacier. Oh no, they had booked me on a HELICOPTER ride to the glacier. I didn't want any part of this! Gnomes and helicopters do not mix. I do not want to get into all the gory details as to why gnomes fear helicopters but let's just say it all stems from the time the world's largest gnome tried to fly in the world's smallest helicopter. A very sad day indeed. Mrs. S said she would hold my hand during the flight as this was her first time in a helicopter as well. How could I chicken out when she was being so brave!



All I can say is that it was so very worth it! The view from the helicopter, once Mrs. S convinced me to open my eyes, was breathtaking. Once we landed, we were taken around the glacier by two very knowledgeable guides. Here's a picture of me with the very helpful chap named Marmot. I hope I made a good impression on him and his fellow guidesman. On their advice, I tried a sip of the glacial water. It tasted just like the water from the Giant Ice Cube Glacier in Gnomistan. The gnome who first discovered it was not the most creative gnome who ever lived.



Overall, I had a wonderful time but boy, was I glad to be back on solid ground—and I sealed my return with a kiss.



As I have said, words cannot describe the full beauty of this area. Thankfully, Mr. S took lots of pictures. I hope you enjoy them. (P.S. I've secretly added in a picture of the happy couple. Don't tell them.)


No comments: