Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9-20-08 What is caterwauling?

I have been accused of many things during my lifetime: breathing too loudly in public, not washing behind my ears, being a paid mercenary for the department of redundancy department but tonight at dinner I was accused of the unthinkable...caterwauling. The problem is, I don't know what that means!
Mr. and Mrs. S were seated with two other lovely young couples. Apparently our youth exuberance was too much for the fuddy-duddies (yes, I just used that word) seated at the table next to ours. They gave us dirty looks all night and at the end of dinner pointed and, rather loudly, complained to the waiter about our excessive caterwauling. They even demanded to be moved! Now none of us at the table had any idea what caterwauling meant. The best we could come up with was that caterwauling was the sound produced by cats as you built walls around them. I can assure my fellow readers that we did NOT do that this night. In fact, no walls were built around any felines in the entire dining room. Perhaps my enlightened readers can leave a comment as to the “proper” meaning of the word.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nittany,

I'm surprised by the fact that you didn't know the true meaning... being that you are such a finely educated gnome like myself. But, maybe your Mr. and Mrs. S don't spend as much time educating you on the American Engligh language as my Mr. and Mrs. S do...
"Caterwauling Meaning and Definition. (n.) The cry of cats; a harsh, disagreeable noise or cry like the cry of cats"

So I beg the question... did you guys have Chinese food prepared at your table last night?
Cheerio!

Gomer

Anonymous said...

How utterly RUDE of those fuddy-duddies. It seems to me that someone making that big of a stink should be moved to another table. I truly hoped they were - they certainly did not make a good impression on Nittany of what cruising is all about-- FUN. Carry on and cheerio!--and we wonder why there are wars !!!!!

Anonymous said...

One would have to believe that those old cranks seated next to your table were probably up past their bedtime--and, no doubt, should have requested first seating for their dinner. And using such language on the innocent ears of Nittany. Unexcuseable!!! Shame on them. And did they not know-- It was 5 o'clock somewhere --time to party. Maybe that's what they needed -- a stiff drink--(or two)