Thursday, September 25, 2008

9-24-2008 Northern Exposure

When I opened my eyes this morning, and shook off the cobwebs of the previous night, (note to readers, if someone asks you to do an “Irish Car-bomb” with them, pass) I was in awe of the view from my cabin window. What a change from the Hubbard Glacier! We docked in Skagway, Alaska, early in the morning while the S's and I were still sleeping. The views are spectacular! We are surrounded by magnificent white-capped mountains on all sides and the brilliant blue sky reminded me of my homeland. Ours was the only cruise ship in the harbor so the crowds were minimal. I was thrilled when I found out that Mrs. S had booked us passage on the White Pass Railroad to sightsee up the slope of one of the mountains. I have never seen a more picturesque sight. It was even more beautiful than the golden fire caves of my homeland. I never thought that was possible. I had fun introducing myself to the local wildlife including a quite stoic black bear. And, I was very surprised to see this sign pointing to my homeland...even though they did spell it incorrectly.



No comments: