Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9-23-2008 Baby, it's cold outside

This morning we awoke early as we approached our next stop, Hubbard Glacier. I have never seen a glacier in person, so this was going to be a very exciting day. I would like to teach you a few things I have learned about glaciers today.


  1. Glaciers are massive sheets of ice that have slowly shaped the landscape of Alaska for tens of thousands of years.

  2. Glaciers are cold. I mean really, really cold. A gnome could freeze stiff in seconds cold.


Armed with that knowledge, I donned the beautiful hat and scarf Mr. S's mother bought for me. I cannot tell her enough how much that gift helped me this morning. The glacier was absolutely magnificent! The ship was able to approach to within several hundred meters of the face, close enough to watch large sections of the surface break off and crash into the water. It took my breath away...as did the cold. Have I mentioned the cold? Mr. S told me it wasn't that cold outside but I think he was just trying to look macho in front of his wife. We spent several hours in close proximity to the glacier and the captain even spun the ship 360 degrees so that everyone had a great view. As we sailed away Mr. and Mrs. S treated themselves, and me, to what they called “adult hot chocolate.” I'm not sure what was in it, but it sure did warm my belly.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The photos from the glacier were breathtaking---Nittany, you were so adorable in your winter garb. Glad to hear they warmed you up with that famous concoction of Adult hot cocoa. Yum-Yum and a bottle of rum.

P. S. It's also quite good even when it's not freezing outside.