Saturday, May 22, 2010

5/21/2010 Bermuda...part two

Today we plan to explore the the beautiful island of Bermuda, more specifically the Royal Navy Dock Yard. Serena awoke from her morning nap ready to take on the world and who were we to hold her back. We decided to start off slow and do a little shopping before hitting the beach. Serena was getting very excited about going in the water that she had a hard time sitting still in her stroller. We decided to give Mr. and Mrs. S a break and walk around on our own while they shopped. You may be asking, “How can such a small gnome push such a large stroller?” First of all, I take offense to the statement that I am short. I am rather tall for a gnome, or at least I was. Over the years, like many people, I have shrunk a bit as I aged. Back in my youth I was a star on my high school volleyball team. I used to almost be able to touch the bottom of the net with a good leap. I was heavily recruited for college but after the doctors found a bone spur in my shoulder I decided to hang up my knee pads. So back off with the short jokes or I'll give your shin a good thrashing. To answer your original question, while I can't reach the handles I have adapted the lower basket into a makeshift Gnome control center. I can put my legs through the bottom and drive the stroller with the best of them. And, when I get tired I can hop up and use the basket as a hammock to catch a few Z's while Serena eats. The only bad thing is that on more than one occasion, Mr. S has forgotten I was down there and folded the stroller with me inside. One time I was so soundly asleep that I didn't realize what had happened until I awoke inside the Xray machine. The good news is that I was unharmed. The better news is that I finally found out what had happened to that penny I swallowed as a child.

After strolling around the dock yard for half an hour and feeding Serena some lunch, it was off to the beach. None of us knew how she would react to the sand and the water. She had always like bath time so we had high hopes. We got to the beach, set up a towel, and let her loose. At first she had no idea what to make of the sand. She picked it up, mashed it between her fingers, and tried to eat it (I stopped her just in the nick of time). Finally she stood up on the cool sand, smiled, and she was off to the races! She had no problem walking on the sand at all and loved picking up the small shells and handing them to me. We played in the sand until Serena got a little bold and tried to run to the volleyball court. She tripped and fell on her face scratching her cheek a bit. Of course she came running to me to help console her. I gave her boo-boo a kiss and she was back to her giggling self in no time. Now it was time to play in the ocean! For safety sake I let Mrs. S hold Serena as I tend to get very buoyant in sea water. Mrs. S walked her down to the waters edge...I floated a few feet off short to capture the event. A few tense minutes passed as she tried to figure out what was she was seeing. Suddenly, a big smile signaled it was play time! She splashed and giggled as Mrs. S bounced her in and out of the water. If she had her way she would have stayed all day in the ocean! We kept this up for about 20 minutes until Serena started to get sleepy as we approached nap time. I think Mrs. S was grateful Serena was tiring as her arms were exhausted. Mrs. S took Serena back to the blanket to get cleaned up while Mr. S started packing up the stroller. I, on the other hand, being distracted by the cheerful Serena, started drifting away from the beach. If it not for the kindness of a sea turtle, I may have been another missing gnome with his face on the side of a milk carton!

No comments: